Happy Hour Box (Pre-order)
- Soft Swerve’s signature black sesame paste to mix with vanilla ice cream to recreate their Asian specialty dessert
- Sun’s Organic Garden tea package to be brewed alone or for a tea based cocktail
- K.K. Discount’s Longevity cup, a motif ubiquitous with Chinese culture, for your beverage or dessert
- Welcome to Chinatown recipe card
Profits from the Happy Hour box will benefit the three participating businesses and Welcome to Chinatown, a grassroots initiative to support Chinatown businesses and amplify community voices that generates much needed momentum to preserve one of New York City's most vibrant neighborhoods.
To learn more about Welcome to Chinatown and our most recent initiative, The Longevity Fund (the only small business grant created exclusively for Manhattan's Chinatown to address the funding and resource inequality for minority owned businesses in the community), click here. It is our goal to raise $200,000 to issue 40 small business grants and your purchase helps tremendously.
Note: Boxes will be shipped on November 12th and you will receive a tracking number once generated.
About the businesses:
Soft Swerve (www.softswervenyc.com)
- Jason Liu and Michael Tsang, best friends and co-founders, met and grew up in Chinatown where they worked and went to school together. In 2016, they were inspired by visits to some of their favorite dessert eateries and wondered why they couldn't find them locally. With this thought in mind, Jason and Michael took the idea and began experimenting in the kitchen so that they can one day make some of their favorite desserts more available to the Chinatown/Lower East Side community. They found excitement in creating ice cream which motivated a turn of direction in their careers; Soft Swerve was founded.
- Photographs by Kevin Xiao
Sun’s Organic Garden (https://suns-organic-garden.business.site/)
Established since 2010, Sun’s Organic Garden Chinatown is a calm oasis in NYC offering 1,000+ mostly organic and wild loose leaf teas & herbs. The unique shop, helmed by the Chinatown Tea Lady, specializes in premium Chinese & Taiwanese teas, unique & healthy herbal tea blends, one-of-a-kind herbs & wellness products.To order online, see catalog on Instagram profile @sunsorganicgarden or go to www.bit.ly/3478LPD
K.K. Discount (https://www.kkdiscount.com/)
- Ken and Vicky Li immigrated to the US from Hong Kong in 1978 with the hope of living the American dream. After Ken saved enough money working long hours as a waiter, KK Discount Store became a reality. Being in business for over 30+ years, KK has grown from carrying your typical houseware items to a one-stop-shop for all your daily needs. This store is Ken and Vicky's pride and joy, because they have been able to serve the community for so many years and even put their kids through college from working around the clock. Mom-and-pop shops are very hard to come by these days and KK is the true definition of one.
- Photographs by Steven Yen Photography